Guidebook 1 - updated September 2016
- Page 13, Track note 4.3 should read: "Junction with old Bibbulmun Track and Kalamunda Circuit walk trail. Turn right, leaving the old Winjan walk trail. Reminder: no mountain bikes permitted."
- Page 29, Track note 5.6, the distance should be 6.0.
- Page 49, in the first paragraph, remove the reference to the boot cleaning station.
- Page 63, Track note 7.7 "CA 78/2, keep right" should read "CA 78/2, continue straight ahead".
Guidebook 2 - updated December 2015
- Page 13, insert after Track note 11.3: "12.2 Continue straight ahead at four-way intersection with firebreak."
- Page 13, insert after Track note 3.9: "4.4 Continue straight ahead at four-way intersection with firebreak."
Guidebook 4 - updates October 2015
A major realignment near Blackwood campsite has taken place and the Track notes below replace those in the book as indicated.
Page 34, Track note 13.9 onward.
- 13.9 At Southampton Rd (vehicle access point) turn left off Spring Gully Rd. Ascend on Southampton Rd.
- 14.1 Turn right off Southampton Rd, passing through gate and entering private property. Ascend veering right onto old vehicle track through picturesque marri and jarrah grove. Please respect the privacy and property of the land owner.
- 14.3 Exit marri and jarrah grove continuing to ascend on indistinct vehicle track along spur through farmland. Excellent views as you ascend.
- 14.9 Pass through gate and turn left ascending onto gravel track leaving private property. Please close the gate behind you.
- 15.0 Veer right ascending away from farm boundary fence on gravel road through pine plantation. As you ascend, there are magnificent views behind you. Greenbushes tin mine can be seen in the distance.
- 15.6 Turn left at gravel road junction and descend.
- 15.7 At fork in gravel roads, veer right descending.
- 15.9 Turn left off gravel road onto trail passing small dam
- 16.3 Veer right onto what was an old airstrip now replanted with pines then veer left at the base of the old airstrip, angling slightly downhill. Dramatic views over Blackwood Valley below.
- 16.7 Join vehicle track veering right leaving walk trail and follow along rim of Blackwood Valley.
- 17.1 Reach short spur trail to campsite and turn right. Arrive at Blackwood Campsite 50m later. Blackwood Campsite is a no fire site - walkers must only use fuel stoves for cooking and light no other fires.
Page 35, Track notes 0.0 onward. Please note that you should subtract 0.3km from all Track notes from (and including) 4.6 on page 35 to 17.4 on page 36.
- 0.0 From Blackwood Campsite return to the spur trail and turn left and follow old vehicle track descending along rim of Blackwood Valley.
- 0.4 Turn left off vehicle track onto trail.
- 0.8 Reach base of what was an old airstrip, now replanted with pines. Dramatic views over Blackwood Valley below. Cross base of old airstrip angling slightly right uphill and re-enter pines veering left 60m later.
- 1.2 Turn right off trail onto gravel road just past small dam.
- 1.3 Veer left onto another gravel road ascending.
- 1.5 Turn right onto another gravel road continuing through pine plantation. Excellent views straight ahead as you descend. Greenbushes tin mine can be seen in the distance.
- 2.1 Veer left descending on gravel track parallel to farm boundary fence.
- 2.2 Turn right off gravel track and pass through gate into private property. Please close the gate behind you. Descend veering left along indistinct vehicle track along spur. Excellent views. Please respect the privacy and property of the land owner.
- 2.8 Enter picturesque marri and jarrah grove, continuing to descend along old vehicle track.
- 3.0 Descend and pass through gate. Turn left onto Southampton Rd (vehicle access point).
- 3.2 Near the old Southampton 2 School site, turn right onto Spring Gully Rd descending initially then starting a long ascent. Watch for vehicles.
Page 43, Track note 0.0 to 4.0. Please note that you should subtract 0.1km from all Track notes from (and including) 4.6 on page 43 to 18.2 on page 44.
- 0.0 From Blackwood Campsite return on spur trail and turn right at junction. Continue south through marri forest over crest and begin to descend along spur of hill.
- 0.5 Leave marri forest and descend along burnt remains of old fenceline. Path may be slippery - take care. Spectacular views into Blackwood Valley.
- 0.6 Descend and veer left on trail traversing steep slope amongst magnificent grass trees. Take time stop and enjoy the views before reaching the bottom.
- 0.8 Reach rock steps. At the bottom turn sharp right. 80m later reach another set of rock steps in two sections. Continue descending on switch backs. Path may be slippery.
- 1.3 Reach foot of Cardiac Hill at major gravel road. Turn right but immediately take left-hand fork, pass through gate and 80m later cross creek entering property of Southampton Homestead. Please respect the privacy and property of the land owner.
- 1.6 Pass through gate, closing it behind you and turn right off vehicle track onto another vehicle track. Pass between destroyed historic Southampton Homestead and river. Please respect the privacy and property of the land owner.
- 1.8 Pass through gate continuing to follow boundary fence. 80m later pass through another gate leaving Southampton Homestead and entering another private property.
- 1.9 At junction with vehicle track on left, continue straight ahead on walk trail parallel to river. Pass house on the left up the hill.
- 2.1 Veer left way from boundary fence to ascend. Reach vehicle track and turn right to pass through last gate leaving private property. 40m later descend to cross creek then ascend. Track winds along the banks of the Blackwood River.
- 2.3 Turn right off old vehicle track onto walk trail and descend to cross creek 50m later.
- 2.4 Turn right onto vehicle track. 20m later turn left off vehicle track which leads to the river. The Track may be inundated in late winter and early spring.
- 2.5 Cross small watercourse which may require wading in late winter early spring. 50m later veer right to pass through clearing, then veer left.
- 2.9 Descend on trail.
- 3.0 Cross another small watercourse.
- 3.2 Cross another small watercourse which may be flowing along the trail for short distance in wetter months. Soon pass two more small water courses.
- 3.3 Veer right then left remaining parallel to river.
- 3.5 Cross small watercourse, then 50m cross another.
- 3.9 Exit forest to reach Southampton Bridge. Turn right to cross river on bridge. Move clear of bridge quickly — this road is used by log trucks. Immediately across river turn left on road.
Page 46, Track note 14.2 onward.
- 14.2 Turn right on Southampton Rd and cross river on bridge. Move clear of bridge quickly — this road is used by log trucks. Immediately across river turn left on walk trail entering forest along the banks of the Blackwood River.
- 14.7 Cross small watercourse, then 50m cross another.
- 14.8 Veer right then left.
- 14.9 Pass two more small water courses. Soon cross another watercourse which may be flowing along the trail for short distance in wetter months.
- 15.0 Cross another small watercourse.
- 15.2 Ascend on trail.
- 15.6 Veer right to pass through clearing, then veer left. 50m later cross small watercourse which may require wading in late winter early spring.
- 15.7 Turn right onto vehicle track. 20m later turn left off vehicle track which leads to the river. The Track may be inundated in late winter and early spring.
- 15.8 Cross creek then 50m later ascend to reach vehicle track, turning left onto it.
- 15.9 Descend steeply to cross creek then ascend. 40m later pass through gate entering the private property. Immediately turn left onto trail and descend toward boundary fence. Please respect the privacy and property of the land owner.
- 16.2 Pass house up the hill on the right. Soon, a vehicle track joins from the right. Continue straight ahead parallel to river.
- 16.3 Pass through right hand gate entering Southampton Homestead following the inside of the boundary fence. 80m later pass through another gate. Pass between destroyed Southampton Homestead and river. Please respect the privacy and property of the land owner.
- 16.5 Turn left off vehicle track onto another vehicle track passing through another gate and following road between two fence lines.
- 16.8 Pass through final gate leaving private property near a creek crossing and soon after where another gravel road joins from the left, turn left onto narrow walk trail starting steep ascent of Cardiac Hill. Remember to stop and enjoy the breath taking views.
- 17.3 Reach a set of rock steps in two sections. 80m later turn left and ascend on another set of rock steps.
- 17.4 Trail traverses steep slope amongst magnificent grass trees. Soon veer right and ascend on right hand face of spur with magnificent views into the Blackwood Valley. Path will be slippery when wet.
- 17.6 Pass by remains of burnt fence line and soon enter marri forest continuing to ascend on spur.
- 18.1 Reach pine plantation and spur trail junction to Blackwood Campsite on your left. This is a no fire site. Walkers must not light any fires and cook on fuel stoves.
Guidebook 5 - updated January 2015
- Page 13, Track note 6.3 should read "With vehicle track on the left, continue straight ahead, keeping Manjimup Brook on your left."
- Page 15, Track note 9.9 should read "At fork veer right onto walk trail, keeping Manjimup Brook on your right."
- Page 18, Track note 3.6 the word "right" should be replaced by the word "left".
- Page 19, Track note 20.0 should read "Pass through railway cutting then soon after cross another creek."
- Page 21, Track note 4.2 should read "Cross another creek then soon after pass through railway cutting."
- Page 21, Track note 9.4 the second sentence should read "To the left of the creek are the remains of the old railway bridge."
- Page 22, Track note 23.1 should read "Cross twin bridges over the Donnelly River and continue ahead after gravel road joins from right."
- Page 26, Track note 14.6 the road is no longer marked with the road sign "To Sunshine Rd".
- Page 27, Track note 6.5 the road is no longer marked with the road sign "To Sunshine Rd".
- Page 31, Track note 3.4 Strickland Rd should be replaced by Link Rd.
- Page 31, Track note 9.5 should read "Descend and turn right again, descending toward gully."
- Page 32, Track note 12.0 should read "Ascend steeply" only.
- Page 32, insert new Track note 12.1 to read "Pass through small stand of karri-oak while walking parallel to creek."
- Page 33, Track note 10.0 should read "Pass through small stand of karri-oak while walking parallel to creek." only.
- Page 33, insert new Track note 10.1 to read "Turn right and descend. On the ridge to the right is some of the oldest known karri regrowth in the southwest, devastated by fire in 1852."
- Page 34, Track note 12.5 should read "Turn left and ascend."
- Page 34, Track note 16.2 Strickland Rd should be replaced by Link Rd.
- Page 38, Track note 21.1 remove the reference to the Karri-oak recreation site site as it is closed.
- Page 40, Track note 4.0 remove the reference to the Karri-oak recreation site site as it is closed.
- Page 41, Track note 14.1 should read "Reach corner of private proerty (Tasmanian blue gum plantation), and continue straight ahead. Do not veer left onto gravel road alongside regrowth, nor right along fenceline. 50m later veer left away from fence onto trail."
Guidebook 7 - update October 2014
- Page 53, Track note 5.5 and page 58, Track note 17.4 are no longer relevant due to a very minor realignment away from the eroded dune. The Track now goes through lower vegetation until it reaches the original alignment.
Guidebook 8 - updated April 2015
- Page 25, Track note 2.7 the word "right" should be replaced by the word "left" to read " Turn left at the corner of fenceline just before Eden Rd heading west away from bitumen road."
- Page 35, Track note 1.2, and page 39, Track note 15.3, the words very old should be replaced with indistinct.
- Page 42, Track note 1.1, should now read 0.9 Reach boot cleaning station. 1.2 Cross Hartman Rd - vehicle access point. A new boot cleaning station has been installed in a different location causing the change.
- Page 45, Track note 11.2 should now read 11.2 Cross gravel road (Hartman Rd - vehicle access point). 11.5 Reach boot cleaning station. Please be sure to clean your footwear and walking sticks to prevent the spread of Dieback.