We are so excited to be celebrating the journey and invite you to join in!
On 13 September 1998 the new Bibbulmun Track was officially opened in Albany. The Track had been significantly realigned, extended from Walpole to Albany and upgraded with the addition of timber shelters at the campsites.
An official function was held at the Bibbulmun Track Southern Terminus to open the Track and farewell a group of walkers, 11 of whom completed the first end-to-end. Along the way they were accompanied by sectional walkers. The event was called Bib Walk ‘98.
In 2008, the 10th Anniversary was celebrated by an end-to-end walk starting in Albany.
25th Anniversary 2023 .... celebrating the journey.
The 25th Anniversary celebrations will also include several components and different ways in which you can get involved.
The celebrations will begin with a special ceremony in Kalamunda on Friday 14 July 2023.
From there, a small group of end-to-end walkers will begin their journey south, arriving at the Southern Terminus some eight weeks later.
At each town along the way we will have a community celebration and the End-to-Enders will be joined by a new group of walkers to walk the next section.
The 25th Anniversary celebrations culminate in an event in Albany after walkers arrive on Wednesday 13 September 2023.
We invite you to celebrate with us. Here’s how:
- Apply to join the epic journey as an end-to-end walker (members only). Applications open June 2022.
- Become a sectional walker. Registrations open early 2023.
- Volunteer to assist with logistics and community events. See below.
- Join in the send-off at the Northern Terminus in Kalamunda on Friday July 14, 2023 - all welcome.
- Join in the community celebrations in the towns along the Track - all welcome.
- Join in celebrations at Donnelly River Village on the weekend of 12 and 13 August 2023 - all welcome.
- Join in the celebrations at the end of the walk in Albany for the 25th Anniversary on September 13, 2023 – all welcome.
Join the epic journey as an end-to-end walker - apply now!
To be part of the small group of end-to-enders, walkers will be subject to a strict screening process.
Applications are open and will close in September 2022 (yes, this year!). Places are strictly limited.
Download the application form for information on fees, the application process, inclusions, exclusions and T&Cs.
The end-to-end group will be guided by BTF guides and will include plenty of support through pre-walk briefings, training, selected gear and gear discounts, food drops, participation and invitation to special events and logistical support throughout the journey. See the application form for more information.
Become a sectional walker
Registrations for sectional walkers will open online early in 2023 and will be accepted on a first come first served basis, subject to the applicant’s experience and fitness.
There are 12 sections to choose from with varying degrees of difficulty, length of walk and nights spent on the Track. There are only limited spots available for each section and we expect that some sections will be filled quickly.
The benefits of participation as a walker
- Opportunity to be part of an historic, prestigious event that will mark the 25th Anniversary of the opening of one of the world's great long distance walking tracks.
- Discovery and enjoyment of some of the most beautiful and wild areas of the south-west whilst having minimum impact on the environment.
- A massive sense of achievement of becoming an End-to-Ender, walking 1000km or walking a section and also being part of the official walk.
- An excellent opportunity to meet many other walkers (those completing the whole walk, town-to-town sections or just a shorter day walk) and perfect for those with experience but who would rather not complete a section alone.
- Support and leadership from trained guides.
- Emergency backup from guides, the Foundation and the Parks and Wildlife Service.
- Opportunity to purchase an exclusive Anaconda celebrating the journey shirt.
- Bibbulmun Track map relevant to your section. All maps and guidebooks for end-to-enders
- 25th Anniversary end-to-end completion certificate (if applicable).
- A weekend guided walk on the Bibbulmun Track for end-to-end applicants.
- Up to 16 food drops including some in remote locations for end-to-end walkers.
- Remote food drops for sectional walkers (on longer sections only).
- Pre-walk briefings.
- Manual with notes on equipment, food, official walk protocols and guidelines, first aid and training information.
- Free bus transport on selected sections for sectional walkers.
- Special discounted gear from our sponsors.
- Participation in community events in each town along the way.
- Invitation for all walkers and immediate family to the major celebrations in Donnelly River Village and Albany.
Get involved – volunteer with us!
We are looking for people along the length of the Track and the towns through which it passes in a number of roles. Find out more.
As the official end-to-end walkers make their way from Kalamunda to the Southern Terminus in Albany, a community celebration will be held in each of the towns through which the Track passes. More information will be available here soon.
We hope that you can join us to celebrate this historic occasion.