Whilst the Department of Environment and Conservation (DEC), acts as Manager of the Track, the Bibbulmun Track Foundation is recognised as the primary focal point for community-based support and involvement, and has primary responsibility for promoting the Track to potential walkers and maintaining the Track through the Newmont Boddington Gold “Eyes on the Ground” volunteer maintenance program.
The relationship and key roles of the Foundation and DEC are outlined in a ‘Memorandum of Understanding’.
The Bibbulmun Track Foundation is a vibrant, soundly managed and economically stable organisation which utilises a strong community base to provide essential support for the ongoing management, maintenance and marketing of the Bibbulmun Track.
“To support the management of the Bibbulmun Track so that it remains a sustainable long distance walk trail of international significance and quality” through:
- Community participation contributing to physical and social well-being;
- Development of opportunities for tourism, employment and education;
- Protection of the natural, cultural and heritage values of the Track;
- Attraction of funds and other resources; and
- Being an advocate for the Track in relation to the formulation and implementation of relevant government economic, social and environmental policy.